Plain English reports online
Since the 1970s we have run our Plain English Course for all kinds of organisations, training their staff in the techniques and benefits of plain English.
We have worked with a wide range of government departments, high street banks, building societies, manufacturing companies and local authorities. Plain English has helped these organisations to save money. Their customers benefit too.
No one wants to waste time trying to understand wordy, bureaucratic or jargon-ridden literature. And no one thinks kindly of the people who write it! We train writers to put themselves in their customers’ shoes, and to ask ‘How would I feel if I received this and what would I think of the organisation sending it?’
The course is designed to give delegates the skills and awareness they need to:
- recognise some of the traps a writer can fall into;
- understand the features of a plain English style;
- use a clear and concise style to avoid wasting their reader's time;
- identify the most appropriate report writing style for the intended audience; and
- be able to write and set out a model report.
The course will cover the following:
- Introduction to the course
- Is the information as clear as possible?
- Report writing styles - is the style appropriate for the audience?
- Shortening sentences
- Suggestions for clear writing
- Using verbs powerfully in reports - being active about passives
- Cutting the waffle out of reports
- Setting report objectives: the key 'sentence'
- Summarising a report
- Bringing it together: writing a short report
This course is available as an open course, an inhouse course or an online course.
The course costs £100 plus VAT (total price £120). You use the course on a password protected website. Your fee gives you unlimited access to the course for two weeks.
We accept payment in pounds sterling (GBP), euros (EUR), US dollars (USD), Australian dollars (AUD) and New Zealand dollars (NZD).
We can accept payment with the following cards.
The button below takes you to a secure payment site. Your credit card details will automatically be encrypted (put into code) and sent direct to WorldPay, a well-established and reputable card processing firm. Neither Plain English Campaign nor anyone else will have access to your card details.
Please note that your username and password to logon to the course will be sent to you during the next working day after you have made your payment.
Refunds may be given at the discretion of the management.